Update 5: The Foundry Update (12/22/2017)
- The leveling system has been updated and deeply re-balanced. The old secondary bonuses have been moved to the new Mutations mechanics. Points invested on tiers will now have the following effects:- Brutality : +15% damage on red items (mostly close combat weapons), +50% health
– Tactics : +15% damage on violet items (mostly ranged weapons & skills), +50% health
– Survival : +15% damage on green items (mostly heavy weapons & shields), +50% health
The health bonus gets smaller as you keep investing on a single stat.
Example: “1st Brutality tier gives +50% health, 2nd one gives +45%, 3rd one gives +40%, and so on until 0%. But if you decide to start investing on another stat, you start again at +50% health.”
- You can gain Mutations between each level, stacking up to 3 of them. These Mutations allow you to customize the extra bonuses you get from points invested in Brutality, Tactics or Survival. The philosophy here is to give the player ways to specialize and experiment.A mutation can be:
– scaled on a specific tier (brutality, tactics or survival), like: “+X HP when killing an enemy”, “+X DPS when enemies are far away”, or “+X DPS for 2 seconds after a kill”. The mutation will get more powerful as you invest points in the related tier.
– generic (ie. not scaled), like: “All bows ammo x2”, “Longer rally effect duration” or “Longer speed buff duration”.
Here are the concepts behind each tier:
– Brutality mutations specialize on melee combat and damage buffs
– Tactics mutations specialize on ranged & skills buffs
– Survival mutations specialize on shields and healing from new sources (like leeching life from killed enemies).
You can re-specialize between levels if you need to (like, before a boss-fight), but this costs gold.
- Community suggestion All ranged weapons are now Tactics weapons first (some are dual-color).
- Balanced all mobs damage and life. The concept here is: “mono-tiered builds are glass canons (lots of damage, almost no resistance), 2-tiers builds are balanced, 3-tiers build are resistant but weak”.
- It’s now possible to drop level-up scrolls from random mobs. Such mobs have a yellow star above their head for you to spot them.
- Community suggestion It’s no longer possible to one-shot a cursed door.
- Most shields bugs should now be fixed (ie. shield capacity not triggering on parry, or parry not dealing crit damage). You shouldn’t be control-locked anymore after a successful parry.
- All shields parry window have been reduced slightly.
- Enemy grenade repelling using a shield should now work all the time, even when the grenade is standing still on the ground.
- Boss Runes can now be obtained from… well, bosses. Use these nasty little things in the Prisonner’s Cells at the beginning of the game to make the whole game harder! Higher difficulty means more powerful mobs, less Healing Fountains (down to 0 on hardest mode, so please to get hit too much) and more cell drops. Also, each may area of the game may see other specific changes based on your difficulty setting, like new mob types in a level etc. Version 0.5.3
- The Foundry is now open! It can only be accessed if you activated the Incomplete One Boss Rune. The Foundry will then appear after each boss fight.It allows you to invest your Cells to upgrade any item you’ve unlocked. Each upgrade will give the item a permanent “Tier +1” affix (which depends on the item) and extra base power. For example, upgrading the Broad Sword once will add a permanent “Brutality +1” on it, and it will have more base affixes and more overall power!
As the Foundry is only accessible after specific levels in the game, you’ll have to keep your cells with you instead of investing them with the Collector… Version 0.5.3
- We fixed incorrect HP values displayed in the window that shows up when you pick a scroll. Previously, successive scrolls would give +50% HP, +45% HP, +40% HP etc. Fixed display now shows +50% HP, +30% HP, +21% HP etc. Dont worry: the “new” HP values may seem lower BUT the actual gameplay values were not changed at all. We only fixed an incorrect display. Version 0.5.11
- Community suggestion Hunter’s Grenade can now transmute enemies even if they don’t have an Elite version. In such a case, they turn into Elite Zombies. Version 0.5.11
- Community suggestion Hunter’s Grenade now extracts a relevant blueprint from the target enemy if you already carry other blueprints in your bag.Version 0.5.11
- Slightly balanced the Rally effect
- Ice bow now shoots much faster and the freeze effect lasts longer
- Ice crossbow has longer casting time
- The long bow crit distance is slightly shorter.
- Double damage affix changed: x2 damage dealt, x3 damage received
- Quad damage affix changed: x4 damage dealt, x4 damage received
- Force shield now has a diminishing return mechanics when used a single mob (ie. a boss)
- Electric whip is now a ranged weapon
- The Hokuto bow mark now propagates to all nearby mobs when the victim is killed.
- Community suggestion Gold nuggets now only require 1 hit to be destroyed.
- Buried mobs now raise more quickly.
- Fixed the orange slime hitbox when using Rapier
- The double bow bullet physics is now the same as other bows.
- Killing trash mobs no longer reduce Curse counter Version 0.5.1
- Timed doors rewards now include generic level-up Scrolls instead of single stat Scrolls. Version 0.5.3
- Updated all timed-doors timings Version 0.5.3
- Elite Archer now a twice longer shoot range Version 0.5.3
- Cell treasures should now contain more cells in advanced levels Version 0.5.5
- Balanced the spiked boots damage. It now deals weak damage by default, except when you crit (ie. when you hit an enemy preparing an attack). We also added a more complex sequence of kicks to this weapon. Version 0.5.8
- Updated the wrenching whip Version 0.5.10
- Community suggestion Ice bow can no longer have “shoot arrow behind” affixVersion 0.5.10
- Meat Grinder and Heavy Grenade are now Brutality skills too in addition of Tactics Version 0.5.11
- Rooms improved and new rooms added for the Vine, Teleport, Stomp and WallJump Runes.
- Prison Depths is now a much smaller level
- Added extra map information for all Cemetery doors
- Added many minor secret area everywhere.
- Rooms added in Fog Fjord Version 0.5.3
- Secrets in walls should no longer be too close from each others Version 0.5.3
- Balanced Sepulchre content Version 0.5.5
- Fixed timed door position in Sewers (should always be quite close from the entrance) Version 0.5.5
- Added many teleporters to Fog Fjord Version 0.5.5
- Added some teleporters to Toxic Sewers Version 0.5.5
- Added some teleporters to Old Sewers Version 0.5.5
- Rooms added in the “Promenade of the Condemned” and “Graveyard” levels Version 0.5.10
Graphics & UI
- Dead leaves added in the “Promenade of the condemned”
- Fixed a motion sickness issue in Sepulchre
- Updated the ceiling turret skin
- Added mutations icons
- Standard turret design and icon
- New Golem’s visual special effects
- The weapon shop and its merchant now have their proper skin
- New Character/Pause UI. All the informations has been split in 3 screens now : Options, Equipment & Inventory. We added some information too (mutations, play time, etc…) Version 0.5.1
- Cannibal grenade skin has been updated Version 0.5.3
- Fixed shop rerolls overlapping shop items Version 0.5.6
- Community suggestion Healing fountain animation is now slightly fasterVersion 0.5.10
- Updated wall run animation (work in progress) Version 0.5.10
Music & Sfx
- Many sounds have been updated Version 0.5.3
- Food should no longer have random affixes
- Scrolls should no longer drop on teleporters
- Fixed many visual issues with the Crusher skill.
- Fixed the “dodge + use shield” exploit
- Being hit by the Darkness from Sepulchre should no longer block the climbing mechanics.
- Using stomp attack on Shield bearers should no longer create strange camera issues.
- Fixed the skip of the Knight NPC
- Fixed no longer infinite slam on Pirate Chief
- Fixed duplicate items in Prisonner Cells when you have “Random start weapon” upgrades Version 0.5.6
- Fixed Dualshock 4 controller detected but not working on OpenGL versionVersion 0.5.6
- You cannot grab anymore a cliff when there are spikes on the side of this cliff. Version 0.5.8
- Fixed dialog texts not disappearing when crossing doors Version 0.5.10
Update 4: Brutal Update
- The world has changed. We’re now preparing the final form of the game. Most levels have been updated to reflect this, including their difficulty, or their location on the world map.
- The Watcher boss is now a mid-game boss, while the Assassin new boss becomes the final encounter. Note that the current game ending still isn’t the final one: we plan to add the real game nemesis in a later update.
- 2 new biomes have been added: the infamous Clock Tower and the mysterious Slumbering Sanctuary. Both include new enemies and loots.
- The old tier system (ie. Strength/Skills/Health) has been replaced by Brutality / Tactic / Survival.- Brutality (red): includes all weapons (except shields)
– Tactic (purple): include all active skills
– Survival (green): include all shields
Some items (weapons or skills) are Dual colors, which means they can rely on 2 different stats, and use the highest value. You may also encounter random Colorless items: these ones will always use your best stat.
Here are the effects of these new 3 stats when you augment them:
– Brutality (red): raise all red items damage, add +18% life
– Tactic (purple): raise all purple items damage, reduce all active cooldowns
– Survival (green): raise all green items damage, add +40% life
Your level-up decisions are much more important than ever.
- Level up scrolls have been changed. You may find “classic” Power Scrollsthat allow you to add +1 to any tier among 3, or Double Scrolls that only allow you to augment 1 stat among 2 (randomly chosen). Single forced scrolls are no longer a thing.
- The way item stats/affixes are generated has been changed:- based on their level, all offensive items (ie. item that deals damage) now have a “Damage +X%” stat, while all non-offensive items (ie. all other items) now have a “All damage received -X%” stat.
– “Tier +1” affixes on Weapons and Skills are now only found from very specific sources (Treasures or shops) and are to be considered rare.
– Talismans have a guaranteed “Tier +1/+2/+3”, on item level III or more.
- The Collector can no longer upgrade items using Cells. For now, his only role is to unlock new content. A whole new upgrade mechanic will come back in the next update, which should come shortly after this one!
- A new special grenade can be unlocked at the collector (it will then appear in the Prison Cells). It allows you to hunt specific blueprints when the RNG is not being nice to you. Throw it on a mob that has unknown blueprints on him, fight him and right before killing it, use your grenade extracting ability to get your blueprint. No one said it would be easy.
- All Cursed treasures now drop Colorless items. Right now, it’s the only way to get this kind of item.
- Community suggestion You can now ask for specific item categories in Shops (like bows, or melee weapons) and reroll shop content if what you see is not interesting to you. However, these options are upgrades you have to buy using cells at the Collector.
- Community suggestion New Shield gameplay! You can now hold any shield as long as you want! If you hold a shield, a specific amount of damage received will be absorbed (around 75% for most shields). If you short-press and don’t hold your shield, you’ll attempt a PARRY. Like before, this technique allows you to negate all damage received, as well as most of the negative side effects of being hit (like being repelled). A successful parry is now a critical hit. It’s a risk-reward mechanic: hold and take a small amount of damage, or try a full Parry with the risk of missing.
- Community suggestion You can now reflect enemy arrows using any shield! The amount of damage you deal depends on your Survival tier.
- 10 new items, including weapons, shields and active skills!
- 4 new enemy types!
- A Castlevania inspired diet has been added in your game options 🙂
- Community suggestion The classic grenade has been splitted in 2 different grenades: one that deals damage on a large area, but with a longer cooldown, and one that deals strong damage on short area with short cooldown. Version 0.4.1
- Community suggestion We balanced pretty much every parts of the scaling system of the game. Scrolls now grant +25% damage instead of +43%, and all enemies & items have been updated. Everything should now feel more balanced. Feedbacks are more than welcome! Version 0.4.2
- The Fog Fjord has been completely updated. The whole level design has changed and a few new mobs have been added. Version 0.4.3
- You can now see a link between 2 mini teleporter in the sepulchre once you use one of them Version 0.4.7
- Community suggestion Ammo stuck in a mob will now drop automatically after a few seconds, event if you don’t kill him. It’s still always faster to kill the enemy directly or use a grenade with the proper affix, but this should avoid stucked situations with “bow only” builds.
- Community suggestion The Tonic is now an item that can be refilled using Healing Fountains, so you can now use your tonic once per level. It can also be used even if your health is full. More “consumable active skills” will probably come later.
- Community suggestion All bows now have a slight auto-aim. They still shoot horizontally, but it’s MUCH easier to shoot small enemies or mobs standing on lower platforms.
- The Electric Whip is now a cool weapon again: its damage has been buffed up.
- Horizontal turret and Ceil turret now have 1.5x longer range
- The game timer is now paused when visiting Shops, Treasure rooms or Cursed Treasure rooms.
- The Decoy active skill now explodes after a short time, dealing lots of damage to all nearby enemies.
- Teleporting is now blocked if the caster is rooted (applies to some teleporting mobs or to the Phasing skill).
- The Biter Swarm worms are now much much more resistant (like 10x stronger). The active skill cooldown has also been reduced.
- Community suggestion The Toxic Cloud skill is now twice faster to cast.
- Community suggestion The amount of HP recovered through the Rally Effect (the HP you recover when attacking immediately after being hit) is now capped. This cap can be raised by augmenting your Survival tier.
- The Phazer skill now buffs the next attack, even if it’s not a melee attack.
- The Frost Blast weapon now inflicts lots of damage if the target is not frozen when it hits (it deals 0 damage if the target is already frozen).
- Corrupted Power now adds extra damage instead of adding a fixed percentage. This extra damage is now scaled with the Tactic tier.
- Community suggestion Food items now restore a fixed percentage of your max HP.
- The Phazer enemy is now a little bit faster. It’s melee attack hitbox has also fixed.
- Enemy grenades you repel with a shield do way more damage to enemies.
- The Quick Bow deals a little extra damage.
- Quick Bow now behaves like an autofire weapon (like the Repeater Crossbow). You can hold fire button to shoot quickly.
- New shield affix: better damage absorption
- New shield affix: bullet absorption
- Sturdy shield: stun duration is now twice longer on successful Parry.
- Shove shield: the bumping effect is now much more powerful on successful Parry.
- Force shield: the force field now only triggers on a successful Parry. It also lasts much longer.
- Blood shield: the bleeding only affects the blocked victim when holding the shield. It affects all nearby enemies on a successful Parry.
- Spiked shield: inflicts much more damage.
- The dash shield has been adapted to the new gameplay, including some balancing and minor bugfixes.
- Situations where the player was standing on the edge of a platform and got bumped away off a platform by walking/idling enemies should now occur more rarely.
- Community suggestion Vampirism skill now applies to ranged attack too.Version 0.4.1
- Lightning whip damage have been balanced. It also doesn’t give you air control any more. Version 0.4.2
- Cursed treasures no longer drop Scrolls. Version 0.4.2
- Start Bow is now MUCH faster than it used to be. Version 0.4.2
- Infantry bow has a little bit more ammo. Version 0.4.5
- New rooms added for all levels
- All rooms have been reworked for “WallGrab” et “StompJump” mechanics
- Added extra teleporters to Old Sewers & Promenade. Version 0.4.1
- Balanced all timed doors. Version 0.4.5
- Community suggestion Added timed doors to Fjord village & Cemetery Version 0.4.5
Graphics & UI
- Graphic improvements for all biomes (fog, particules…).
- The “sewer depths” now have a corrupted skin.
- The “Zombie-Worm” in “The old sewers” now has its very own skin.
- The “Zombie-Fly” in “The Graveyard” now has its very own skin.
- Fixed incorrect damage displayed on shield tips.
- You can see now the number of monsters left to kill during Challenge.
- The HUD has been updated regarding the new Brutality / Tactic / Survival system (still work in progress)
- Some weapon and skill icons has been updated
- Tier are now visible in your character page (in pause menu). Version 0.4.3
- Elevators skin has been updated Version 0.4.5
- Item hiddens in HiddenBlock are now visible once these discovered. Version 0.4.8
- Fixed a bug that cancelled shield bearer mobs attacks when they jumped away from the player.
- Throwing a grenade in the middle of a Fly pack will now deal damage to all flies in the group.
- Blocking an arrow using a global shield no longer bumps the archer mob
- Blood Shield should now properly trigger on parried ranged attacks
- Incomplete One shockwave attack can no longer be parried using a shield
- Community suggestion Cells dropped from cell shrines are always automatically picked up, even if you run away.
- Aura of Laceration no longer make you float for 1 sec when activated
- Bleed propagation affix should no longer apply bleeding on small breakable props lying on the ground. Version 0.4.1
- Fixed many issues with shield parrying detection. It caused some shields to not trigger properly on a successful parry. Version 0.4.3
- Fixed the Nut Cracker hitbox Version 0.4.4
- Grenades should no longer break doors through walls (and therefore, you shouldn’t be Cursed from accidentaly breaking a door through walls)Version 0.4.4
- “Freeze on parry” shield affix now works properly Version 0.4.5
- Invisible mobs no longer have the same damage buff as an invisible player. Version 0.4.8
Update 3: Who’s your daily?
- Added the “Daily run” mode! Same level & loots for everyone, changing every day. You can try as many times as you want to rank up: only your best score is kept in the leaderboard.
- A new ability is available at the Collector booth. It allows you to sell items lying on the ground and you don’t want! Just long-press the “pick-up” button of your controller when in front of a useless item. It will be destroyed and turned into gold. This ability works on most weapons, active skills, talismans and food items.
- Community suggestion Gold keeping has been completely rebalanced. Instead of “keep X% of your gold upon death”, the new upgrade now allows you to “keep at max X gold upon death”. It goes from keeping 3k gold up to 15k gold.
- Added new achievements !
- Speed combo: if you kill enemies quickly enough, you will be granted a temporary run speed boost. Keep killing enemies to maintain this advantage!
- Many many minor ergonomic changes have been made to the hero movements to make your undead life easier (see below for more details). We fixed and adjusted many small things like: ladder transition speed, jump through thin platforms, hard to “grab” platforms etc.
- Added the Items Altar : there is 2 items, but you can choose only one!Version 0.3.6
- Added 2 new weapon blueprints and 1 new active skill blueprint as rewards for Daily Runs you complete (that is killing the boss). You can only get rewards once a day. The first reward is given on the first time you beat the Daily Run, the second one the fifth time and the last one the when you beat your tenth Daily Run. Version 0.3.9
- Daily Run: Some items are now forbidden. You need to unlock them in the normal mode to use them in Daily Run mode.
Important note: we have plans to give you ways to “re-lock” items you have unlocked but don’t want to see in normal mode, but it won’t come before Update 4. Also, we’ll also make sure that insanely rare drops are not a thing in Dead Cells: this drop system balance will also make it to the Update 4. Version 0.3.9
- Community suggestion If you have unlocked one of the 3 “Random weapon” upgrades, you will now be able to find the good’ old rusty start weapons hidden somewhere inside the flask room. Just in case you need them for, like, an achievement. Version 0.3.10
- Added experimental DirectX support (available on beta branch only). Version 0.3.10
- The run timer is now paused when you are in a challenge room
- You can now exit a ladder from the top faster by rolling on last second (see: http://gph.is/2tx5NQk )
- Community suggestion It’s now a little “harder” to grab ladders on-the-fly when playing with the sticks on a gamepad. This means that you need to move your stick further to UP or DOWN to grab a ladders, so it’s not possible anymore to grab a ladder using LEFT+UP for example. This should reduce accidental ladder grabs during combats.
- You should find precious gems a little more often on mobs.
- The dive attack should now allow you to jump through thin platforms in relevant situations. Before this change, you may have sometime “missed” your dive attack when you tried to use it and jump through a thin platform at the same time (resulting in a very short dive attack on the spot).
- Balanced Impaler spear damage (1st strike is more powerful, 2nd strike is a little bit less)
- Fixed some situations where it was “difficult” to jump through a thin platform using double jumps.
- Add some anticipation for the Watcher “bullet hell” attack
- Community suggestion Repeater Crossbow is now an automatic weapon: you can keep your attack key pressed to shoot arrows. Its charge time is also twice faster and its damage have been balanced. Version 0.3.2
- The Mechanical Spider grenade damage have been reduced. Version 0.3.2
- The way the hero life scales has been slightly changed (you get +48% extra life each time you pick +1 LIFE, instead of +41%). Version 0.3.2
- The crusher active skill blueprint is now a Common drop, and not a Rare one anymore. Version 0.3.10
- Enemies should no longer start in toxic in sewers (they can still fall it though)
- Added many new variations to Promenade level design
- We removed tons of useless ladders from the game (ie. ladders leading to platforms you could easily jump on). Note this should also reduce a lot issues like “accidentally grabbing ladders while trying to avoid this two gren.. omg omg NO NO NOOOO fuuuuuuuuuuuuu*”
- Added new variations to Sewers level design
- Added new variations for rooms that require Vine or Rub-rub runes
- Changed the design of the large crypt in the Graveyard
Graphics & UI
- Added an option (in Misc settings) to automatically cancel your dodge before falling from a platform. This won’t trigger if you start your roll when you’re close from the cliff.
- Updated the collector exit door
- Added extra particles to some heavy weapons, ’cause they are heavy you know
- New skin for the grenadier (ennemy and bombs)
- The Vine ladder is now more visible and readable
- The mini-shop has been updated and Guillain, a new NPC, has been added
- The level name will no longer display on Title Screen
- Community suggestion Key mapping for next/previous is now configurable
- New skin for the Runner ennemy
- Community suggestion Added option for fullscreen mode (fullscreen or borderless) Version 0.3.2
- Added the seed to the large Map view (it will be useful to us when you screenshot impossible or problematic levels) Version 0.3.2
- Added infos about save slots in menu (last change date, etc.) Version 0.3.6
- Improved performance in Promenade of the Condemned and GraveyardVersion 0.3.6
- Performance improvement of the fog rendering Version 0.3.7
- Improved performance of camera zoom Version 0.3.8
- Added a feedback to indicate when your speed buff is about to disappear.Version 0.3.9
- Added Japanese version. Version 0.3.11
Music & Sfx
- Add Portal closing SFX
- New musics for the weapon and food shops
- The Incomplete One will no longer hit you if he’s frozen while jumping
- Fixed an infinite lock that could occur during some cinematics (like “running against a wall forever”).
- Fixed a few rare “null access” crashes
- Fixed a bug that made enemy grenades disappear in walls.
- Fixed some issues with “bouncing” items Version 0.3.2
- Renamed the French version of the Flying Biter mob. Version 0.3.2
- Blueprints can no longer be stuck in a wall. Version 0.3.3
- Pirate bombs can longer be triggered by throwing kunais on it or by dropping a turret in front of them. Version 0.3.5
- Added support for DualShock 4 controller connected via the Sony USB Wireless adaptor Version 0.3.6
- If you crouch or stand while using a bow or a crossbow, your character should animate accordingly. Version 0.3.7
- We fixed a rare bug that could make enemies appear suddenly on screen, like if they were teleporting to abnormal positions. Version 0.3.9
Update 2: Hello Darkness my old friend
- The levels organization has been vastly changed: Ancient Sewers cannot be reached anymore from the Promenade, while Ossuary leads to… well. Let’s call these, “new places”. A few other changes happened to the loot balance pretty much everywhere.
- Explore a whole new area located right after the Ossuary… Hope you don’t fear darkness.
- 2 new enemy types! We can’t spoil you too much about them, but we really look forward to them killing you.
- New gameplay mechanic: the Darkness. Stay for too long into it and you’re dead.
- New weapons, including Hayabusa boots, or High velocity crossbow!
- All shops now contain 5 items instead of 4.
- Added option to deactivate Steam Cloud, including an optional transfer of files between local only and Steam cloud.
- Community suggestion If a Workshop mod is available for your language, it is now automatically installed.
- Community suggestion We know you LOVE the shocker enemy from the Ossuary, so we doubled their frequency. Oh. Wait. No, we actually divided their frequency by 2. And we made sure their positionning was much more balanced. Version 0.2.1
- Installed workshop mods are now automatically update Version 0.2.1
- We removed the Shield breach mechanic completely. If your Strength was too low, your shield could be “breached” by high level enemies. This is no longer the case, allowing new combinations like using a shield efficiently with a Skill based build. This is meant to be tested and balanced with a future shield update. Version 0.2.2
- The “Super deal” mechanic of shops has been changed (you know, when you see an item in a shop with a large green banner behind it). A super deal is now an item that has a guaranteed tier+1 affix on it, which STACKS with all its regular other affixes. A tier+1 affix is one that augments Health, Weapon or Skill. Version 0.2.3
- The amount of cells you can drop have been balanced everywhere. Gold drops also have been adjusted.
- The Quickbow now only requires 2 arrows to grant criticals instead of 3
- The shovel attacks much more quickly.
- Shocker mob from Ossuary can be frozen
- The broadsword can now hit enemies behind you
- Community suggestion The Frantic Sword has been totally rebalanced. Regarding damage, it now stands right between light weapons and heavy ones.
- Community suggestion The Spiteful Sword has been redone: it still deals critical blows after getting hit by an enemy, but it’s now faster and the third strike has been replaced a kick that stuns the enemy. Which is much more fun.
- Community suggestion The Sadist sword is now a dagger: it deals a critical blow if the victim is either bleeding, poisoned or burning.
- The long bow (sniper) is now faster.
- Community suggestion We nerfed the free forcefield duration you get when you have a shield equiped. We plan another update (but later) on shields gameplay, so this nerf is more like a “hotfix”.
- Community suggestion The Tonic now heals twice more and grants a global shield when used.
- Community suggestion Reduce Shield of the Behemoth when is changing phase
- Added extra treasures behind the Timed door in Ossuary, for those who are fast enough to get them, of course. Version 0.2.1
- Vampirism skill duration has been balanced Version 0.2.2
- Elite mobs now only drop weapons & talismans Version 0.2.2
- Community suggestion Hard levels like Ossuary now have better cell dropsVersion 0.2.2
- Standard mobs should now have very low chance to drop an equipment item (weapon or skill) but much higher chance to drop large gems Version 0.2.2
- Changed the way scrolls are spread in levels. Most shops should now have 1 scroll for sale. Version 0.2.3
- The ossuary difficulty has been slightly adjusted. Version 0.2.3
- Removed all cells from cursed chests, they were replaced by Tier+1 scroll.Version 0.2.4
- Community suggestion Adjusted Tier+1 Scrolls quantities in all levels to ensure each path has a better risk/reward balance Version 0.2.4
- Community suggestion The Valmont whip that ignores shields now also ignore the Thorny spikes damage Version 0.2.5
- Fire bomb has a longer cooldown Version 0.2.5
- Adjusted grenades cooldowns (+/- 1 sec) Version 0.2.5
- Community suggestion Balanced Frost blast diminishing efficiency (it should now work better on bosses) Version 0.2.8
- Community suggestion Added many teleporters in levels that lacked.
- Added new variations to “The promenade of the condemned”
- Added a disclaimer sign before entering Ossuary using the hard way (from Prison Cells) Version 0.2.2
- Added a shop between Prison Cells and Ossuary Version 0.2.2
- Community suggestion Fixed some levels with annoying ledge grabbing issues Version 0.2.2
- Added new rooms in Ossuary Version 0.2.4
- Added new rooms to Prison Cells Version 0.2.4
- Added new special ladders in Fog Fjord to unlock shortcuts to large house roofs. Version 0.2.4
- Changed a few rooms in Cemetery Version 0.2.5
- Added 2 new hidden do… oh. No sorry, we can’t talk about that yet. Version 0.2.5
- Fixed a rare Promenade level design issue Version 0.2.8
Graphics & UI
- Graphic improvements in the Graveyard (cemetery)
- Community suggestion Yout can now zoom and scroll the minimap using keyboard
- Updated the Shove Shield animation Version 0.2.3
- Updated minor teleporters in Cemetery crypts Version 0.2.4
- Implemented a new stairs climb animation used in most exit doors Version 0.2.5
- Chains are now more visible in Ossuary Version 0.2.5
- Fixed some aiming issues with the Lightning bolt
- Assault shield is not blocked anymore by small breakable props in the background
- Incomplete One AoE cannot be blocked by shields anymore
- Community suggestion The screen shifted to the right when the key 9 was pressed
- Fixed an exploit than allowed to roll through a solid wall using roll + jump down (yeah, I’m looking at you speed runners 😉
- Community suggestion Fix Boss Counting (Stats)
- Community suggestion Fix Pirate Chief anim when thawn
- Community suggestion The game now receives gamepad inputs when it does not have focus. Version 0.2.2
- The Sewer Creature cinematic will no longer start if you are falling or dodging. Version 0.2.2
- The Rapier should now crit properly when you also hit some background props during a fight Version 0.2.3
- Fixed shield affixes that triggered when protected by a global force fieldVersion 0.2.3
- Fixed Slasher mob name. The new spinning guy is now… a Spinner. We’re not running for academy award on this one. Version 0.2.5
- Fixed “+300% dmg on parry” shield affix. It should now work as expected and won’t apply anymore to the shield parry damage. Version 0.2.8
- Assault Shield should no longer hit doors from different floors. Version 0.2.8
- Fixed a translation error that read “+75% dmg on stunned target” instead of “+75% dmg on slowed down target” Version 0.2.8
Update 1: Elemental
- New elemental gameplay! For example, Fire & Oil have been totally redone. You can now put oil on the ground, put it on fire and watch your enemies die in awful ways. Or maybe will you appreciate the new interactions between electricity and water? For science!
- Community suggestion New weapons, including mace, torches, spear etc.
- Community suggestion New active skills, including Ceil Turret or Vampirism.
- Added many new affixes that will change weapons, active skills & talisman gameplay, including many new elemental affixes (like leaving a toxic cloud when dodging).
- Community suggestion Shield gameplay buffed! If you have a shield equiped and get hit by anything, you will be granted a temporary global force field. This means that equiping a Shield now allow you to have a much more efficient defensive gameplay style: you basically can’t be chain-hit by multiple enemies. This change affects all existing shields. Also, we fixed a bug that prevented you from using a shield to block multiple attacks. Now, if you’re good enough and do it in proper timing, you can now block ANY number of successive attacks coming at you.
- A mysterious door has appeared in the Prison Cells
- Community suggestion Statistics! Track your progress and some other funny counters. We will add more gradually.
- Community suggestion Achievements! There are awesome. Like statistics, we will add more with the next updates.
- Turrets and most deployable traps (like Meat Grinder) now require you to be at medium range to operate. If you go too far away, they will simply not work until you get closer again.
- Dead Cells is the first game that allows you to pick your food diet. Be it carnivorous, vegetarian, frugivore or monstrous. Go check the game options.
- 2 new enemies have been added
- A mysterious character has been added in sewer depths
- Shops will sometime have a special “deal” on one item: this means higher quality loot but also more expensive.
- We added many extra teleporters to sewers levels
- Oil sword & oil bomb now put oil on the ground
- Community suggestion Your rolls can now break doors
- Community suggestion We fixed many minor ergonomic issues you won’t probably notice with ladders (faster to grab from the top, easier to leave when jumping from the top etc.)
- Community suggestion Active skills can now be used as “cancels” (eg. you can cancel a Broad sword attack by throwing a Grenade)
- Firethrower turret & flame thrower now put ground on fire
- You can now electrify mobs standing in water
- Community suggestion The freeze blast is now 50% faster to use, which makes it much more efficient in most combat situation!
- All grenades generated by item affixes now explode much faster.
- Improved auto-aim on some weapons like Throwing knives (eg. higher priority on elites/bosses)
- Community suggestion Ice bow now freezes all enemies around the hit target. It also has 4 ammo instead of 3
- Community suggestion Blocking an arrow with the Greed Shield will now drop a golden arrow.
- Community suggestion Hook skill is now slightly faster and the Stun effect last twice longer
- Community suggestion Crossbow now has 15 ammo
- All the bosses can now see you even if you are invisible
- Stun grenade now lasts less time and deals less damage
- Ice grenade lasts longer and deals more damage
- Lightning whip range has been slightly reduced
- Fire now deals more damage if the target is covered with Oil
- Community suggestion All timed doors now have much more interesting loots behind
- Better challenge portal rewards
- Community suggestion Cursed chests loots has been improved
- The rally effect (healings on counter attacks) is now less effective if you have a global force field active on you.
- Community suggestion Grenades you repel using a shield will now inflict damage to enemies (aka. Tennis mode)
- Shocker enemy now properly announces its area of effect
- We changed the ways the cells were distributed in game to ensure a better balance between different levels.
- Rapier now deals less damage than the Assassin dagger (crit and non-crit). It also has a shorter crit window.
- We balanced all blueprint costs (everything is a little more expensive)
- Assault shield now has a much more powerful dash effect. It can also break doors.
- The rusty sword has been nerfed to be rustier than OP.
- Hook skill now adds an extra damage bonus on hooked enemies.
- The spear is now twice faster to use and has a small dash effect
- Meat grinder now inflicts Bleeding (more cheese pleeaaaase)
- Bear trap now deploys 3 traps per use!
- More rooms added to add variety in runs (especially in Prison Cells)
Graphics & UI
- Graphic improvements in Fog Fjord and Prison Courtyard
- Fix Texts
- New skin for Merchants : each shop (standard, weapons, heal) now has a proper skin
- Z doors are now more visible in Fog Fjord (Stilt Village)
- Improve challenge message (can be skipped, and it has a better location)
- New art for vine ladders
- New skin for the Scribe, we suggest you to talk to him 🙂
- Map improvements : added feedback for timed doors and rune path locations
- Items dropped by the Collector right before the final boss now have a correct Quality Level
- Dropped items should no longer block a door or an exit
- Phaser skill can no longer receive damage related affixes
- Dual daggers should no longer force you to jump from a platform if you use them near a cliff.
- Shield mobs should no longer hit you from behind
- You can no longer cancel a shield cooldown using another shield
- Shield effects triggered by blocking an attack will no longer trigger when attacks are blocked by something else (like a global forcefield)
- The game timer now runs when you leave the flask room
- The broadsword should now drop again properly
- You cannot heal anymore by swapping items that add +1 LIFE
- You cannot reset your cooldowns anymore by swapping items in your inventory
- Tentacles won’t be stuck any longer in ground
- You can’t anymore exploit the mega jump (shooting during a double jump)
- Phazer damage bonus now applies to the first close combat attack dealt by the player.
- Items unlocked in late game now appears in flasks (in prison cells)
- Grenade from grenader can’t bump you anymore during cinematic
- All DOTs are removed when you change level (and go through secret portal)